March 7, 2017
California Preservation Program
Digital Preservation Service Assistant
(Full-time, temporary position through August 2017; position open until filled)
In partnership with over 140 libraries, archives and museums (and growing), the California Preservation Program (CPP) provides digitization, preservation, and access services for historic California audiovisual recordings, books, documents, photographs and ephemera. The California Light and Sound collection provides “glimpses and whispers” of our state’s rich heritage—history as it happened—to be mined and discovered.
The California Preservation Program gathers best archival practices for digital preservation and establishes low-cost, practical standards to help organizations digitize and manage their collections. Access is provided by the Internet Archive for teaching, research and study. In addition, records are shared via Calisphere, WorldCat, the Digital Public Library of America, and the Home Movie Registry. Storage of files for long-term preservation is provided by the California Preservation Program.
This service is grant-funded by the California State Library, administered by the Pacific Library Partnership, San Mateo, CA, and hosted by the Library Preservation Department, UC Berkeley. UC Berkeley Library is the work location for this position.
The assistant will undertake the following activities:
- Analyze needs and sort collection materials for preservation treatment.
- Normalize metadata in Islandora content management system and prepare materials for digitization.
- Perform quality assurance and control of new digital preservation files and metadata records.
- Communicate with vendors and partner archives.
- Upload access files to the Internet Archive.
- Upload, map and aggregate metadata. Sync with Worldcat and other catalogs.
- Assist with development of preservation outreach workshops.
Required Capabilities and Experience
- Experience with handling and preservation of archival materials, including manuscripts, photographs, and audiovisual materials.
- Experience with quality assurance and control procedures for digitized archival materials, including manuscripts, photographs, and audiovisual materials.
- Working knowledge of library and archives preservation principles, including digitization and metadata standards for long-term preservation and access.
- Familiarity with standards such as PBCore, Dublin Core, Encoded Archival Description, and various thesauri for cataloging.
- Ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively both as a team member and independently.
- Writing skills to document procedures.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Basic competence with office applications in Microsoft and Mac environments.
Preferred Capabilities and Experience
- Interest in California history.
- Experience and facility with Adobe Premiere Pro and Wavelab Elements (for quality control), and Islandora (CPP’s content management system).
Contract through August 2017 at a rate of $18-22/hour, depending on skills and experience; 32-40 hrs/week. Subsequent contracts dependent upon available funding. This position begins immediately.
If interested, please send resume and cover letter to Pamela Vadakan, Manager, CAVPP, email@example.com, 510.642.4665